Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2011

$6 facial at SFIEC!

What better exchange than to help out a friend and be pampered at the same time? On Friday I went to the San Francisco Institute of Esthetics and Cosmetology for a facial. When I was in high school, I wanted to attend SFIEC and become a licensed esthetician. But as "Americanized" as my parents seem, my dad wanted me to do something more "ambitious" with my life than attend beauty school. (I know for sure he wouldn't have paid the tuition) So my dream of attending the school never became reality. However, I found the next best thing!

One of my friends from high school recently started taking classes at SFIEC. She and her classmates were responsible for booking their own clients and performing various hair and skin services for them last Friday. I booked a facial and looked forward to seeing an old friend.

The first and only time prior to this where I got a facial was at a dermatologist's office several years ago. Making awkward small talk and getting extractions made it a less-than-relaxing experience. Not so this time- I was at the hands of (ha ha...) someone I've known for years and was therefore comfortable with.

After lying down in what reminded me of a hospital room, my treatment began with a pre-cleanse. An instructor came over to ask my friend what products she was going to use on me. She seemed knowledgeable about her craft, professional without seeming arrogant, and seemed nice without being fake. (Signs of a good instructor!)

I wish I could remember the rest of the products used during the facial. I know for sure they use Dermalogica products, but I'm not so sure of the names. Unfortunately, as a broke college student, I knew I couldn't afford to buy the kit my friend showed me. ($40. Which I blew the next day at a ramen shop and a wine bar. (Fail...)  My favorite step was when she applied a mask that smelled like oatmeal. Getting a light neck massage wasn't bad either!

Under the skin care services menu, facials are advertised at $45. I went in fully expecting to pay full price- so I was definitely surprised when my total came out to $6. I could have splurged and gotten my eyebrows done!

Can't wait for my friend to graduate and become certified- I know for a fact I'll be going back to visit her in the future. Millie, you're the best! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment