Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Self-Intro

This is a blog about beauty, so I suppose it only makes sense that I write about something beauty related.
Here goes!

For as long as I can remember, I've loved makeup and other beauty products. Like many little girls, I used to love going through my mom's lipsticks and trying them on when she wasn't home. Two of my favorite toys were a light-up Hello Kitty mirror/jewelry box (very 90's....) and my first makeup palette.

But as an Asian girl, I quickly came to realize that the colors of my child-sized makeup palette were not one-size fits all. The colors, which were most likely intended to be worn by fair-skinned white girls with blue or green eyes, only looked muddy or garish against my yellow-toned skin. Then came the issue of the crease (or in my case, a lack of) - many makeup books and how-to instructionals in magazines were geared towards white, black and sometimes Latina women.

Thus, I'm inspired by the Asian ladies out there who show us how to rock bold, dramatic shadows in ways that are complimentary to our eye shape. (Jinahchae is by far my all-time favorite! And mytigerlily is my go-to girl for bright color eye candy) I still sometimes struggle with making shadows work on my sans crease-less eyes without making it look like I got punched in the face- but it's a skill I'm definitely willing to work on.

I'm inspired by anything dramatic. Not so much the avant-garde looks that make up the MAC homepage (although I do like those too) but anything with rock/retro edge. I loooove girls who can work the rockabilly/pinup look. Red lips, perfect cat-eye swoops.....HAWWTTT!

Although I rarely wear them myself, I love super-bright shades. I've been fascinated by Amy Doan's (aka Shrinkle) look since middle school- I'm pretty sure she's mentioned that she's inspired by drag queens and Japanese street fashion. I was too excited when she came out with her makeup line last year. I'm proud to say that two Sugarpill shadows were my first-ever online purchase!

Unfortunately I am almost always on the verge of being BROKE. As a result, I have a humble makeup collection. Most of what I have either came from free samples or places such as Rite Aide, Target and Wal-Mart. While I love browsing Sephora, I actually only buy products twice a year- after Christmas and after my birthday. The joys of being a college student...

I'm pretty sure I could go on for days, but no one, myself included, likes to read posts that ramble on...and on. I'm excited to see if I can keep up with this! Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment